Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos
By H. P. Lovecraft and others
"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown."
–H. P. LOVECRAFT, "Supernatural Horror in Literature"
Howard Phillips Lovecraft forever changed the face of horror, fantasy, and science fiction with a remarkable series of stories as influential as the works of Poe, Tolkien, and Edgar Rice Burroughs. His chilling mythology established a gateway between the known universe and an ancient dimension of otherworldly terror, whose unspeakable denizens and monstrous landscapes–dread Cthulhu, Yog-Sothoth, the Plateau of Leng, the Mountains of Madness–have earned him a permanent place in the history of the macabre.
In Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos, a pantheon of horror and fantasy’s finest authors pay tribute to the master of the macabre with a collection of original stories set in the fearsome Lovecraft tradition:
• The Call of Cthulhu by H. P. Lovecraft: The slumbering monster-gods return to the world of mortals.
• Notebook Found in a Deserted House by Robert Bloch: A lone farmboy chronicles his last stand against a hungering backwoods evil.
• Cold Print by Ramsey Campbell: An avid reader of forbidden books finds a treasure trove of deadly volumes–available for a bloodcurdling price.
• The Freshman by Philip José Farmer: A student of the black arts receives an education in horror at notorious Miskatonic University.
PLUS EIGHTEEN MORE SPINE-TINGLING TALES!
- Iä! Iä! Cthulhu Fhtagn! (1990) by Jim Turner
- The Call of Cthulhu (1928) by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Return of the Sorcerer (1931) by Clark Ashton Smith
- Ubbo-Sathla (1933) by Clark Ashton Smith
- The Black Stone (1931) by Robert E. Howard
- The Hounds of Tindalos (1929) by Frank Belknap Long
- The Space-Eaters (1928) by Frank Belknap Long
- The Dweller in Darkness (1944) by August Derleth
- Beyond the Threshold (1941) by August Derleth
- The Shambler from the Stars (1935) by Robert Bloch
- The Haunter of the Dark (1936) by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Shadow from the Steeple (1950) by Robert Bloch
- Notebook Found in a Deserted House (1951) by Robert Bloch
- The Salem Horror (1937) by Henry Kuttner
- The Terror from the Depths (1976) by Fritz Leiber
- Rising with Surtsey (1971) by Brian Lumley
- Cold Print (1969) by Ramsey Campbell
- The Return of the Lloigor (1969) by Colin Wilson
- My Boat (1976) by Joanna Russ
- Sticks (1974) by Karl Edward Wagner
- The Freshman (1979) by Philip José Farmer
- Jerusalem's Lot (1978) by Stephen King
- Discovery of the Ghooric Zone (1977) by Richard A. Lupoff
Cover illustration by John Jude Palencar